17 November 2009

Daily Quotation



'Very hard ethical questions are involved,' he went on.  'You are to be made into a good boy, 6655321.  Never again will you have any desire to commit acts of violence or to offend in any way whatsoever against the State's Peace.  I hope you take all that in.  I hope you are absolutely clear in your own mind about that.'  I said:

'Oh, it will be nice to be good, sir.'  But I had a real horrorshow smeck at that inside, brothers.  He said:

'It may not be nice to be good, little 6655321.  It may be horrible to be good.  And when I say that to you I realize how self-contradictory that sounds.  I know I shall have many sleepless nights about this.  What does God want?  Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness?  Is a man who chooses the bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?'
~ Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange ~

1 comment:

  1. When I started reading this quote, I thought, "That might be from Clockwork Orange." I have always enjoyed Kubrick's work.
    Are you a fan of 2001?

    ReplyDelete